Monday, September 21, 2009

Race Report: It Sucked

Me at the end of the run: like the dress? Those kids clapping are my babies.



Warning: this post will be very unlike me. Probably not funny or sarcastic at all. So if that is the only reason you tune in, you might want to tune out.

The half marathon yesterday sucked the big one. It didn't start until 9am and it was already pretty hot and windy. The course is very exposed, right up against the Boulder foothills. That means no shade and intense wind. From the first step my foot hurt. Yes, I ran about 10,000 steps and each time my right foot hit, it hurt and was intensifying as the race went on. Throw in an uphill first half, 30 mph headwind and 80 degree temps and I wasn't having any fun.

A little side note about pain. Some people may think it was foolish of me to keep running with the pain. Pain is a weird thing. Sometimes you can run through it. Sometimes it comes and goes. Sometimes it is not indicative of anything more serious. As runners, we all have pain at some points, especially while racing. I knew I was uncomfortable, but did not think I was doing any further damage to my foot (possible foreshadow here for you English majors).

The course is an out and back. Have you ever run a race where you kind of hated every minute of it? This was a first for me. At the turn around I thought things would improve because it would be a slight downhill to the finish. I was banking on the headwind that I had on the way out turning into a tailwind (as the wind should do when it behaves). For me, the way back was no better, mostly because it was hotter and my foot hurt even more.

I am the type of runner who always gets liquids at the aid stations, but never stops. Yesterday I found myself not only stopping, but walking some at the stations (gasp!!). At one point I grabbed to cups of water, one to drink, one do throw on my head. I was holding both of them when a runner came by and took one out of my hand. Guess the running dress made him think I was a volunteer. I screamed at him, "WTF??? Who do you think you are?" Well, not really but that would have been fun.

Speaking of the dress: that was the best part of my run. LOVED running in the dress. Even if the rest of me felt like crap, the dress speaks for itself! (and no, I did not wear the slippers during the run). And for those inquiring minds: no I did not crap in my new sweet dress.


So as I neared the end of the race I was dying. Nauseous, in pain, mentally disturbed and psyched out. At some point early on I knew I would never beat my 1:47 PR. So my goal became a sub two hour run. I crossed the finish at 1:58. All things said, this wasn't SO bad, but when you are so far off your PR you feel like a loser.

I will say the power of the mind is amazing. The minute I crossed the finish I sat down and found I could not walk on my foot at all. I mean at all. Any pressure was excruciating. How I ran the whole race is beyond me.

I know you are thinking what I'm thinking. Two of the worst words a runner can hear (after leg amputation): stress fracture. Today I am still in a lot of pain and can't put pressure on the foot. I am seeing a sport's medicine doc this afternoon. If the x-ray confirms a fracture it is 6-8 weeks of no running. My marathon that I have been training my ass off for, my possible BQ, is in 8 weeks. I am trying not to start the pity party yet, until I know the nature of the injury.

Last night I woke up at 2:00 a.m, in pain. I took Motrin and Ken got me some ice. I lay there, like you do at 2:00 a.m., my mind racing. Running has become such a big part of my life, that not being able to do it for eight weeks would leave a major void. Not only do I love to run, but it is so much more for me. It keeps me balanced. It makes me feel successful. It is meditative. It makes me a better wife, mother, daughter, friend. It makes me feel strong physicaly and mentally. Am I a different person if I can't run? Is there any substituion that would work for me?

Tune back in later for an update on the foot. I hope I have good news.

27 comments:

  1. PR or no, you looked damn good in your race with that dress.

    I hope your foot is okay - sounds like a hella LOT of pain. Good luck with the sports doc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree, you rocked that dress! :)

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! Keep the faith my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dress! I hope your foot doesn't have a stress fracture...I'm sending you positive foot vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your foot although I am majorly impressed that you managed to finish the race. Hell yeah! Love the crap-less dress too.

    I'm sure even if you do get some bad news today you will be able to find a new exercise outlet for yourself. Either way I'll be sure to send out some good vibes toward you from over here in Fort Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is hot! And congrats on finishing.
    Sorry to hear about the foot. I was out for three weeks this summer with a bad hip injury. Those three weeks were hell. I am sure a little RICE for a week or so and you will be back to your bad-ass self. Sending good vibes your way lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you had such a rough race - way to finish with all that! And the dress is awesome. Hope everything works out okay with your foot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i completely agree on the pain, we all push through it and when you have adrenaline you may often push too far. I really hope it's nothing major, i know you have some big goals coming up

    uhh the good news is now you have had your crappy race and hence forth they will all be glorious. I'm pretty sure that's how it works

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I hope your foot is ok. My foot starting hurting on my run yesterday as well. I think that most of the blogging community has some sort of ache or pain right now.

    You may not have PR'd, but dammit, you look hot girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. Sending all the good vibes I can muster and HOPING it is nothing serious. Good luck!

    if it's any consolation, you look HAWT in the running dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nuts! I hope the foot isn't too bad. Eek!

    Love the dress, though. Totally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crap. I hope you get good news today. If I couldn't run I would be a yogi. Seriously. Yoga is the yin to my running yang. (That sounds dirty.) Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your race dress. Sometimes we have to remember its about the journey. Trust the journey. You'll get it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snap, I just realized my friend ran that half, and she said exactly the same thing - freakin hot!

    I'm praying for your foot. Hope you won't have to experience the non-running void.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh girl. Please refer back to my past 8 to 10 posts. I feel your pain. I am sending positive thoughts your way and hope it isn't a stress fracture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your foot, that is seriously some horrible news. I'll try to send some positive waves your way in my mind. ***wave***

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh - I can't wait till my kids can cheer me on at the end of races! So darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH NO!! I hope you get good news- i cant imagine not being able to run for 8 weeks!

    You look super cute in the dress- i love it. Where did you get it?!?!

    Also, even though you didnt PR, you finished in sub two hours and that is awesome in its self! :) So proud of you!

    Give me good news woman!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! I'm sorry girl. I hope it's not as bad as you think. I'll be waiting to hear the news.

    p.s. you look hot in the dress - regardless!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, hope your foot is better...at least you looked cute and met your second goal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dress looks great!

    The thought of a stress fracture makes me cringe, but if you do happen to have one (fingers crossed you don't) cycling is always a good companion while you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry about the foot and the race. You did still great under the circumstances. I hope everything with the doc goes ok. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you're time is still impressive and kudos for pushing through. hope your foot isn't a stress fx, because it is a LONG recovery. i was released to "run" after 8 weeks and only then it was gradual, easy and slow! so i'm hoping with all hope that isn't what you have!! happy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. First, that dress is ADORABLE! I want. Second, good luck with that foot. My fingers are crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope it's not a stress fracture! That is why I haven't been running for a month, and I am so depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the dress! Hate that your foot hurts!!Keep us posted. Hopefully the x-ray didn't lie. Congrats on finishing; you are one tough woman!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ok still getting caught up... uggg i hate these tough races, but you know they do make us stronger. you are seriously a tough woman!! off to the next post to check in on the foot :( i hope its ok.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WTF? This race report was not like you at all...

    ReplyDelete